Silver Creek Country Club
Limited Time Offer!
Call For Details!
Please click on the Become a Member link above for additional information!
Silver Creek's origins began in September 1934 when a group of 9 clubs, whose members were all part of the supervisory force of the Bethlehem PA plant of Bethlehem Steel, petitioned the Commonwealth of PA to incorporate all 9 clubs into one non-profit corporation called the Bethlehem Steel Club. The Steel Club as it came to be known was originally formed to foster athletic sports, social interaction, good fellowship, and technical discussions. One of the 9 founding clubs, the Sunshine Club, owned a property northeast of Hellertown borough consisting of 12 acres and a stone farmhouse, and this became the Steel Club's original club house.
At the close of the Second World War the Steel Workers Union was attempting to organize supervisory level employees inside Bethlehem Steel. The financial implications to Bethlehem Steel would have been significant. Bethlehem Steel's response to the union's initiative was to propose a deal with the Steel Club whereby they would make a major investment in the Club to enlarge the club house and build a golf course and other recreational facilities for the members. In return the supervisory level employees would agree not to organize into a union. The deal was struck and in 1946 the Steel Club acquired additional property adjacent to their existing club house location, and hired a world renowned course architect, Donald Ross to design and build an 18 hole course. The facility was opened in 1948 as a par 71 course. This golf course is notable as it was one of the very last that Donald Ross had a personal hand in designing and building due to his declining health. In 1958 a second tract of land was purchased, and an additional 9 holes were built. At its height the Steel Club served over 1,500 members, and sported a swim complex, tennis courts, a picnic grove, dining and banquet facilities, and a bowling facility in addition to a 27 hole golf course.
By the late 80's Bethlehem Steel could no longer financially afford to maintain the Steel Club. On January 28, 1986 the club entered the second phase of existence, when it was officially named Silver Creek Country Club and became a private non-profit corporation under the management of its members.
2011 marked Silver Creek's 25th Anniversary as a private club! To celebrate our silver anniversary the Club embarked on a major golf course restoration and facility upgrade. It was important to the members to have the right partner involved with preserving and restoring the only 18 hole Donald Ross golf course in the Lehigh Valley. Silver Creek was fortunate to retain the renowned course restoration firm Total Turf Services who completed the restoration and upgrade of the first 18 of 27 holes in 2011. With the Championship 18 complete, Silver Creek features a true test of golf on a newly renovated course designed by one of the true legends of golf course architecture.