About Silver Creek Country Club
Silver Creek's origins began in September 1934 when a group of 9 clubs, whose members were all part of the supervisory force of the Bethlehem PA plant of Bethlehem Steel, petitioned the Commonwealth of PA to incorporate all 9 clubs into one non-profit corporation called the Bethlehem Steel Club. The Steel Club as it came to be known was originally formed to foster athletic sports, social interaction, good fellowship, and technical discussions. One of the 9 founding clubs, the Sunshine Club, owned a property northeast of Hellertown borough consisting of 12 acres and a stone farmhouse, and this became the Steel Club's original club house.
At the close of the Second World War the Steel Workers Union was attempting to organize supervisory level employees inside Bethlehem Steel. The financial implications to Bethlehem Steel would have been significant. Bethlehem Steel's response to the union's initiative was to propose a deal with the Steel Club whereby they would make a major investment in the Club to enlarge the club house and build a golf course and other recreational facilities for the members. In return the supervisory level employees would agree not to organize into a union. The deal was struck and in 1946 the Steel Club acquired additional property adjacent to their existing club house location, and hired a world renowned course architect, Donald Ross to design and build an 18 hole course. The facility was opened in 1948 as a par 71 course. This golf course is notable as it was one of the very last that Donald Ross had a personal hand in designing and building due to his declining health. In 1958 a second tract of land was purchased, and an additional 9 holes were built.
On January 28, 1986 the club entered the second phase of existence, when it was officially named Silver Creek Country Club and became a private non-profit corporation under the management of its members.
2011 marked Silver Creek's 25th Anniversary as a private club! To celebrate our silver anniversary the club has completed a major golf course restoration and facility upgrade. It was important to the members to have the right partner involved with preserving and restoring the only 18 hole Donald Ross golf course in the Lehigh Valley. Silver Creek was fortunate to retain the renowned course restoration firm Total Turf Services who completed the restoration and upgrade of the Championship 18.
In 2014 Silver Creek Country Club was proud to announce the start of a great relationship with Lafayette College hosting their golf team. We are looking forward to Lafayette becoming part of the everyday fabric of Silver Creek.
2015 has also seen an addition of eight teeing areas that will lengthen the course to 6,950 yards. This length will give Silver Creek the opportunity provide endless options for course set up and bring the original Donald Ross course back to some of the longer players in the game.
Silver Creek Country Club hosted the 2016 GAP local U.S. Open qualifier in May of 2016.
Silver Creek features a true test of golf on a premier layout with design features by one of the true legends of golf course architecture. Donald Ross would undoubtedly be proud.